SSD question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SSD question

Post by Memnoch on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Hey guys!!

Hey guys hows things? Hope everybody is ready for Christmas. Sorry I havn't been around, between family stuff I'm also in training for Fiber optics right now. Couple that with time zones and I'm normally konked out by the time you guys come on. Good news is training ends this week and I have all next week off so I am going to be on a lot more.

I have a pc question for anybody that may know (Opus) I'm looking at grabbing a SSD for boxing day and I have my eye on one. Is sata 3 pretty common? Thats the connection. any pros or cons? I do know they will eventually wear out. Thanks guys, any education would be helpful.

Memnoch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SSD question

Post by SAW on Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:09 pm

I got one a couple years ago and have had no problems. I think the old ones wore out but those problems are gone now. Mine has the SATA 3 connection so you'll be good if your motherboard supports that. I have a 250GB and wish I would have gone bigger. Most games are on HDD but the games I play the most are on SDD as well as my OS.

Huge difference in boot speed and game loading

SAW
Admin

View user profile http://lackeys.userboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:26 am

Wear is still a huge issue and it's actually getting worse but as capacity increase works with Moore's law, it's not an issue you'll probably see as long as you still use a SSD in the "proper" manner. Do not use it for caches or any heavy read/write orientated work...There are lots of sites out there to help set it up properly.

If you don't have a SATA3 MB then SATA3 is pointless. The SSD will probably outlive your MB mind you so when you do upgrade, it then can then take advantage of the SATA3.

OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:41 pm

Memnoch wrote:I'm looking at grabbing a SSD for boxing day...
So which did you end-up getting?

OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Memnoch on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:48 pm

LOL I ended up getting a new TV on boxing day LOL still prob gonna get an ssd shortly as they seem to be quite reasonable.

Memnoch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top