Project Reality is now Free!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Project Reality is now Free!!!

Post by OpusTheFowl on Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:38 pm

The legendary PR is now free as EA has now completely dropped BF2 from it's support list meaning you don't need to own BF2 in order to play RE...

Trust me...get this! Imagine ARMA but fun...

DL the full client: Saw/Mem if you want to run a server, also DL that...

DOWNLOAD HERE

Fast Torrent Here
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Project Reality is now Free!!!

Post by OpusTheFowl on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:42 am

Gave it a try last night in both SP vs bots and 15 minutes in a 50v50 server...

Bots are bots but maybe coops will be fun with a few of us. The 15 minutes on a real server though was pretty cool. Big maps and mostly good teamwork...lots of action and atmosphere.

PR is as hardcore as ARMA but the gfx are dated. But if you want a good FPS that isn't just run and gun then try PR...I'm going to be playing this for a while I think...might even join a group or event.

PR could be the shooter we're looking for as long as you can get past the dated gfx.
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:04 am

Having trouble with getting my mic to work in game with their default TS. Had one server crash in a 50v50.

But I have to say it's a lot of fun. Mandatory joining of squads or you get booted (at least on the server I was on) and at least a bit of order and direction. Tough game play...unforgiving.

Way uglier than ARMA2/3 but more fun so far.
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:19 pm

Got the mic issue sorted-out (Mumble is builtin to the launcher and interfaces automaticly with the  game...very cool).

Played again on Tuesday night. Lots of search and destroy with no destroy...always late to the party but still fun.

Played for about 60 minutes on a map last night with a random squad and had a blast. The map was really laggy mind you, It's pretty cool watching a battle for a hamlet develop involving ~18 people and support all the while knowing that another battle is raging elsewhere for another victory point. Ran around, took orders and died about 3 times. Shot a lot but never killed anything...good times.  Very Happy

I'm pretty close to joining a squad I think...I've join PRTA (Project Reality Teamwork Alliance) as they seem to be a well organized group. Many squads seem to be based out of PRTA...They also play other games too...In the future, DL might want to start a squad there...

Any how..looking forward to hearing others feedback...

OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SAW on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Downloading now

I notice it's an ISO

Do I need a converter?

Admin

View user profile http://lackeys.userboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:43 pm

SAW wrote:Downloading now

I notice it's an ISO

Do I need a converter?

Nope...I use Daemon Tools

Start DT and find the ISO file.
Run, install and you're done...
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:24 am

Had another fun night. There wasn't anyone playing the server I normally use so I jumped on a 50v50 "Insurgency" mode server. No squad (means no teamwork). But still had a blast. 8 kills and 7 deaths over about 45 minutes...really tough but probably my best to date.

I noticed more gonzo tactics and silliness though on the non-PRTA server as the rules were much more relaxed. I will try to stick to PRTA servers as the teamwork and realism is enforced more (ie. no soloing, no bonzai vehicles, etc).
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:01 pm

So I've played a few more nights and still really enjoying it. I reminds me a lot of IL2 and the teamwork/comms/organization required to succeed...except there are 50 people on your team.

Just going to post some tips here that I've learnt so far.

• The mini-map's distance and the view distance don't feel right so be careful when shooting as the friendly you thought was far away may actually be the enemy you think you see...causing a team-kill (TK).
  • TK'ing is VERY easy to do as many of the uniforms are similar. Just as in IL2, good situation awareness is mandatory for successful game. If you TK, apologizes profusely in Local chat.
  • Use the mini-map and the map A LOT! The default key is [M] for the map and [N] to cycle the zoom. Depending on your surrounding, you'll be using it every 30 seconds. Sometimes a good squad-leader will say something like "No friendlies North...free to engage" so you know that you're at the leading edge and everyone you encounter is hostile.
  • I haven't remapped the [M] and [N] keys yet but that's a priority as you use them so often. I have a button on the side of my mouse that I'm probably going to set as my [M] key.
  • COMMS. For now, all you need to remember is that there is squad chat [B] which broadcasts to all the guys in your squad and [H] local chat for just the people withing apx 25m. Local chat is very cool and it's both directional and the volume fads with distance...and the enemy can hear too..I think...The point being is that 8 guys chatting all on the same channel is not effective especially when they are all not together so Local chat is very important...also, Local is how you chat with people near you who are not in yuor squad. [B]+[H] are keys that you might want to remap too but that's up to you...
  • Think of PR:BF2 as being "real" as it's a pain time wise to die. It takes a while to get back to the battle and yuor squad. This is also like IL2 in a free-for-all as the time it takes to get back to the fight can be a while.
  • Which brings me to medics. When you die, call out locally "Medic" and listen for a reply. Maybe do that 2-3 times over 20-30 seconds depending how far you are from a spawn. A good medic will reply and come over to revive you. Also if you're bleeding-out, seek-out a medic as you will die in <5 mins.
  • Don't expect to be using any of the cool toys for a while. As with all militarys , squads/platoons only get a limited number of assets. Just as an example, there might only be one sniper "kit" for the whole platoon or 2 HMGs. When you join a squad, look first to see what the make-up is and then spawn accordingly. If there are two medics already, you don't need to be the third. Also, you could just ask the squad leader what he needs. Be resigned to being just a rifleman or medic at first...once you start learning the game then you'll move-up to the more complex and specialized kits (I'm not there yet).
  • Big assets like tanks/APCs/Choppers either respawn slowly or not at all. There is no repairing them either. So you generally don't see stupid shit happening with these things as they are just too valuable to lose.

I'll add more later...
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SAW on Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:02 pm

Got it up and running!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:45 pm

SAW wrote:Got it up and running!

Yay...I think if you can get past the graphics, you're going to love it as the teamwork is great (mostly).
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SAW on Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:47 pm

A good place to start:

http://www.realitymod.com/manual/pr_manual.pdf

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7X52W1rENI

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:49 pm

Nice links...

For the "Getting Started" vid, just keep in mind that 1.3 is the free-to-all version and anything older than that (ie < 3.1) is a BF2 mod (and you need the game). So the installs and maybe some file advice might not be relevant any more.
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:22 am

PRTA Step 1: Join their site

http://prteamwork.com/

Use your normal handle (no "DL" needed) .

This will get you access to their forums and the ability to join an actual "squad".

Step 2: Apply for Foxtrot Squad

Once in PRTA in general, you then need to apply to Foxtrot which is the biggest squad in PR:BF2 (I think) or at least the biggest at PRTA. They don't take kindly to wasting time so fill out the form properly and expect a request to chat in TS at your earliest convenience. In your application in the "How did you hear about PRTA?" question, put me down as I've mentioned USN/DL to them (they know you're coming)...Ideally if this works-out DL will get its own section/squad/platoon one day...

Application form
My application
Random Example
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:31 pm

I'm now in Foxtrot. The "interview" was just a hello and a few question about gaming and things. A bit chaotic with being dragged around in TS but nothing more than USN. The spectrum of players is young to old and from all continents.

You probably want to install and know the basics of PR:BF2 before applying...
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SAW on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:16 pm

Just submitted application. Hope I did it correctly, their site is a little jumbled...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:18 pm

I saw that...Looks good.

Now watch for a reply post asking to join TS. Just let him know possible times and also that you're GMT-7.
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:29 pm

Hey Saw I see you're in...great! Hope the "interview" went well/quick and it wasn't a Gong Show.

Now go HERE to get on the reserved list so that you will always have a slot on PRTA servers. Just copy and paste MY POST in a new thread and on their next server restart, you're added...not sure why they just don't do this automatically but meh...

Then go HERE and start a new thread saying:
Doctrine: Infantry

I assume you want infantry...we can change later of course.
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:20 pm

God damn that first game was great last night...Was the SL's name "Swift_003"? It's funny but I care less about the combat side of it and more about how it's all done...and it was done right by that guy. Just wish his tactical choices were as good as he commanded. That round also made it clear that I never want to lead a squad in PR...

I left right after you (Saw) in that third one as it was mostly going nowhere and it was getting late...
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SAW on Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:52 pm

That was a great game. I can't remember the guys name either, I wanna say Slipper or something like that. He had good command and control but I agree his tactics were lacking. Those guys were well embedded in those buildings and needed to be softened before a single squad infantry push. We should have used more smoke too and found solid cover.

I'm still getting the hang of it but definitely a keeper game!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SAW on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:40 pm

Looks like I'm in Panther P999 Platoon Cool

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SAW on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:45 pm

BTW, since we are now knee-deep in this game, I've created a new forum. Opus, if you could kindly work your magic and create a graphic Laughing

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OpusTheFowl on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:41 am

Done and MOVED
OpusTheFowl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content